Meet: Tremont

Meet: TremontCarissa WoytachTremont West Development Corporation

Formerly belonging to several other cities, including the City of Ohio (the original Ohio City) and Brooklyn Township before Cleveland annexed it 1867, Tremont is approximately three miles south of the center of Downtown.

The community was once called University Heights, named after the short-lived run of Cleveland University located there from 1851 to 1853. Then, it transitioned to Lincoln Heights, named for the two Union Army camps located in the area during the Civil War. Tremont adopted its present name in 1910 after the neighborhood Tremont School.

Through its name changes, Tremont was home to several different groups of immigrants because of its industrial employment opportunities and proximity to Downtown. Its settlement history includes the Irish and Germans in the 1860s, Polish in the 1890s, Greeks and Syrians in the 1900s, Ukrainians in the 1950s, and Puerto Ricans in the 1960s.

Home to more churches than any other neighborhood in the city, Tremont has approximately 20 different places of worship from various ethnic backgrounds across its 185 acres. Immigrants who lived in the city, especially those from Eastern Europe, built several historic churches from multiple denominations including Greek, Russian Orthodox, Roman Orthodox, Zionist and Lutheran.

Much like the rest of the city, the 70s and 80s brought an economic decline. But Tremont welcomed a rush of artists into the area because of its ethnic diversity, historical buildings and cheap housing. Tremont West Development Corporation, created in 1979, established itself to revitalize the city, rehabilitate housing and grow the community’s economic worth and wealth.

Starting in the 1990s, the area’s popularity grew again as it transitioned into an arts district and dining destination. It is now home to an array of locally owned restaurants, stores and gallery spaces.

To showcase its residents’ art, Walkabout Tremont—formerly the monthly ArtWalk, which ran from 1993 to 2015—invites local businesses to act as impromptu gallery spaces, adorning their walls with works from painting to screen printing.

Tremont prides itself on being an accessible and bike-friendly destination, with dedicated bike lanes on many of its major streets, including West 14th Street and Willey Avenue.

It also thrives on providing its residents with affordable and easily accessible arts programming, including several festivals and markets held throughout the year. The summer is Tremont West’s busiest season, as it hosts Arts in August, Taste of Tremont, the Arts and Cultural Festival, the Tremont Greek Festival and a Polish festival every year, as well as a weekly farmer’s market held in centrally located Lincoln Park.