Living in Cleveland
Stretching from the shores of Lake Erie to the eastern-most border of Ohio, the Northeast Ohio region covers 18 counties – including the major cities of Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Youngstown. Offering urban, suburban and rural landscapes, the region is home to approximately 4 million people.
Residents enjoy reliable public transportation and short commutes, great schools and neighborhoods, and a variety of cultural and recreational resources – all the amenities that can be found in larger metropolitan areas but at more affordable prices.
- Cleveland is home to nearly 120 ethnic groups that speak more than 60 languages.
- Several world-renowned service organizations, including the United Way were founded in Northeast Ohio.
- Cleveland is home to philanthropic organizations including the George Gund Foundation and the Cleveland Foundation – the second largest community foundation in the country.
- The City of Cleveland encompasses 30 unique neighborhoods covering 77 square miles along 12 miles of Lake Erie shoreline are home to approximately 400,000 people.
- More than 9,000 residents between the ages of 18-34 moved to Cleveland between 2006-2013.
- Downtown Cleveland’s population has grown 70% since 2000, now home to more than 13,000 residents and expected to reach 23,000 residents by 2020.
- Downtown rental units have a 97% occupancy rate.
- Cleveland has a healthy mix of home sizes, architectural styles and price points, with entry level housing under $50,000 and luxury homes above $1 million.
- Abundant greenspace with four-season weather lends itself to a variety of outdoor recreational opportunities.
- Examples of Cleveland’s world-class arts and culture include Playhouse Square, University Circle, and the Karamu House (the nation’s oldest African American theater).
- The famed Cleveland Cultural Gardens are a tribute and beautiful showcase of the city’s diversity.
Media Contacts: Joel Ratner, President & CEO, Cleveland Neighborhood Progress, JRatner@ClevelandNP.org, 216.830.2770 or Jeff Kipp, Director of Neighborhood Marketing, JKipp@ClevelandNP.org, 216.453.1453
Click here to download the full LIVING IN NORTHEAST OHIO fact sheet.